Shop Smart Autumn 2011
- A Shoppers draw is being planned linked to Shop Sharp membership. A Mini passport will be launched and after 12 visits to one or more of the participating shops, the passport will be an antry to a prize draw.
- Make sure you have your card to participate in offers and if you have lost yours, simply request another one.
- Over 50 businesses are participating in Caterham and new shops and businesses are welcome to join from around the town. Over 2,000 residents are on our mailing lists as members of Shop Smart.
- Details of the passport scheme will be published early in October to members who have provided an eMail address and leaflets available in particiapting shops
- A training & consulting scheme with retail "Guru's" Metamorphosis will see a couple of sessions for shops who are part of Shop Smart in October and later on.
- If you are interested in Community facilities, an exciting project is under way to take over the Soper Hall in Harestone Valley Road as a community hub. The project is a great example of "Big Society" at work and a team has been working away on this for a over a year, having been kicked off by ABC. Please do visit their web site and register interest to help demonstrate that Caterham is an active town, where things happen! Our latest supporter is David Gold who has helped underwrite the proposal. The proposal was approved at a full council meeting on July 21st by Tandridge District Council and details are now being finalised.
- The "Shabby to Smart" exercise throughout the town's shopping areas, with less clutter, new benches, planters and refurbishment of what we kept, is almost complete thanks to ABC. Some railings and posts are being painted and a traffic improvement scheme with a new mini roundabout is about to be created , to allow a right turn into Harestone Valley Road from Church Hill and help relieve the gridlock in Station Avenue.
- Join ABC to be kept up to date with local community projects, Big Society in Caterham and news on projects like Soper Hall, on the Hill, or in the Valley.
Download the current 2011 leaflet (click image to download)
By Local Business for Local People. Now open to wider types of business
All businesses in or around Caterham can join us, each one simply has to provide a Shop Smart member's loyalty benefit and we will provide them with a web page, to tell you.
The number of participating businesses has grown to 60, about twice the size at launch in August 2009. Adding community organisations and totalling up the doctors, dentists, chemists, transport and other information, it's now over 100 local organisations covered
Who's included now and who pays?
The scheme is free to join as a shopping member if you live or work nearby and shops and businesses pay a small fee. Its been funded through grant funds via ABC( A Better Caterham), some advertising and the joining fees from businesses.
Latest to join include:
ARC Arts and play centre, The Village, Caterham on the Hill
A Newsletter at end September is planned to all those we have addresses for and will include any late news, especially about the Shopper's Passport. Over 2,000 are currently members, which is split almost equally between Valley, Hill and outside Caterham.
We have started facebook and Twitter links to expand ways to reach our information. The web site is also available via iPhone now.
If you are interested to become part of a small team taking this forward, please do get in touch and in any case let us have any suggestions for improvements.
Shops & Offers
You can find all the shops in the list below and click on any to go straight to their web page.
Joining at a shop or on-line
Is easy. Free membership cards can be obtained on the spot from JJ Browne, Touché, Peter Groom and La Fiaba in the Valley, plus Vivace Pianos, Swift Windows and Caterham Pine on the Hill. Cards are also available via post ( J J Browne, 10 Godstone Road, Caterham, Surrey, CR3 6RA) and the Internet.
You can pick up an application form in most participating shops. The cards come in a convenient "Big & Small" snap off pair, so one can go on a key ring and another in a wallet, or families can decide who has which. (Age 17 and over)
To all the participating shops
Shop Smart, shop local was launched on August 6th 2009, to reward shoppers and business loyalty. Its proving very popular among residents, shops and local businesses. Membership cards, a web site and town promotions are part of a scheme launched by the Caterham Business Partnership and ABC ( A Better Caterham). Leaflets are available widely in participating shops & both libraries. The campaign has been well supported by the Caterham Mirror, Advertiser, County Border News, Tandridge Chronicle, Caterham Independent and other local media, including BBC's Southern Counties Radio.
The scheme is backed by the local businesses taking part and has been supported by grants from Surrey CC, Tandridge DC, Caterham Valley and Caterham on the Hill Parish Councils. ABC obtained extra funds to assist us via SEEDA and the South East Rural Towns Partnership. At launch there were 31 shops in the scheme and now there are over 50. The panel below lists them.
Details of all the latest shops and their offers, together with a local shopping map and other material are in leaflets in shops or online. Several others are in discussions, so watch this space!
Our web site with this information, including the shops, offers and their locations around the town can be reached from the banner above. Check the individual shop's pages for details of what they offer. Please note that all information is subject to change, while we add extra shops and of course some offers are for seasonal items. There are now 32 participating shops and town centre businesses in the Valley and 23 on the Hill and the balance on our doorstep. Other parts of the town and nearby are welcome too. The scheme is open to include other Caterham businesses. Offers proposed range from straight forward discounts of up to 30%, to free items, promotions, vouchers for monthly draws, special terms and individual loyalty schemes.
Membership for Shoppers, Residents and Businesses.
Everyone can apply for a free Caterham Smart Card via the web site by clicking the card to the right , or by completing an application form in leaflets distributed at launch, or in shops displaying a Shop Smart Apply Here poster. (Age 17 and over) The cards come in a convenient "Big & Small" snap off pair, so one can go on a key ring and another in a wallet, or families can decide who has which.
The list of current outlets is below: ( Autumn 2011)
Caterham on the Hill