- A new town guide will be published in March 2011 for distribution to 40,000 people, living in or near Caterham. We are looking at vouchers, linked offers and a prize draw.
- Make sure you have your card to participate in offers and if you have lost yours, simply request another one.
- Over 60 businesses are now participating in Caterham and we are looking to expand. Over 2,000 are on our mailing lists as members of Shop Smart.
- Shop Smart eNews will be published again at end of January and in March to members who have provided an address.
- A training & consulting scheme with retail "Guru's" Metamorphosis to help local retailers, is now active. Several local shops are working with Metamorphosis to improve their customer's overall ratings and interest in shopping locally. We found grants to help individual shops too.
- More events to follow last year's Caterham Festival, De Fest and the Food Festival. Watch this space!
- If you are interested in Community facilities, an exciting project is under way to take over the Soper Hall in Harestone Valley Road as a community hub. The project is a great example of "Big Society" at work and a team has been working away on this for a over a year, having been kicked off by ABC. Please do visit their web site and register interest to help demonstrate that Caterham is an active town, where things happen!
- The shopping area upgrades, with less clutter, new benches, planters and refurbishment of what we kept, is almost complete thanks to ABC. Some railings and posts will be painted in spring and a traffic improvement scheme with a new mini roundabout is under discussion for 2011, to allow a right turn into Harestone Valley Road from Church Hill and help relieve the gridlock in Station Avenue.
- Join ABC to be kept up to date with local community projects, Big Society in Caterham and news on projects like Soper Hall, on the Hill, or in the Valley.
Download the current 2010 leaflet we distributed locally via the Caterham Independent. (click image to download)
By Local Business for Local People. Now open to wider types of business
All businesses in or around Caterham can join us, each one simply has to provide a Shop Smart member's loyalty benefit and we will provide them with a web page, to tell you.
The number of participating businesses has grown to 60, about twice the size at launch in August 2009. Adding community organisations and totalling up the doctors, dentists, chemists, transport and other information, it's now over 100 local organisations covered
Who's included now and who pays?
We are expanding business members once more in preparation for the spring 2011 leaflet. The scheme is free to join as a member if you live or work nearby and shops and businesses pay a small fee. Its been funded through grant funds via ABC( A Better Caterham), some advertising and the joining fees from businesses.
Don't forget the "Extra" section which now includes: Lavender Box ( Beauty), Oliver Walker Photography, Nic Howard (Garden Design) and Buy Fine Wine.
The professional services section now has: Arnold & Baldwin(Chartered Surveyors), Bronzeoak Business Centre, Bourne Accountancy, Cato St ( Graphics Design), CBA ( Recruiting), Lifebroker ( Insurance), Lilypad ( Estate Agency), Martin & Co (Residential Lettings), Recruitment Solutions, Roger Lugg ( Accountants) and Dolman & Pritchard ( Solicitors).
Events - Where to meet us
Shop Smart has been one of the sponsors of Meet Caterham Business, an opportunity for business and individuals to meet each other locally. The last one was October 2010 and held at The Surrey National Golf Course.
A sampler session from Metamorphosis on Window Dressing was held in Oct 2010 and will be repeated, together with other topics chosen from their portfolio of retailer topics in a series of "Master Classes" to be held in our own Shop Smart/Metamorphosis "Institute". These will be scheduled starting in March and available for Shop Smart retailers and businesses at no charge as part of the ABC grants we obtained from SEEDA.
Newsletters in late January and early March are planned to all those we have addresses for and will include any late news. Over 2,000 are currently members, which is split almost equally between Valley, Hill and outside Caterham.
We are looking at facebook and Twitter links to expand ways to reach our information. The web site is also available via iPhone now.
If you are interested to become part of a small team taking this forward, please do get in touch and in any case let us have any suggestions for improvements.
Shops & Offers
You can find all the shops in the list below and click on any to go straight to their web page.
Joining at a shop or on-line
Is easy. Free membership cards can be obtained on the spot from JJ Browne, Touché, Peter Groom and La Fiaba in the Valley, plus Vivace Pianos, Swift Windows and Caterham Pine on the Hill. Cards are also available via post ( J J Browne, 10 Godstone Road, Caterham, Surrey, CR3 6RA) and the Internet.
You can pick up an application form in most participating shops. The cards come in a convenient "Big & Small" snap off pair, so one can go on a key ring and another in a wallet, or families can decide who has which. (Age 17 and over)
To all the participating shops
Shop Smart, shop local was launched on August 6th 2009, to reward shoppers and business loyalty. Its proving very popular among residents, shops and local businesses. Membership cards, a web site and town promotions are part of a scheme launched by the Caterham Business Partnership and ABC ( A Better Caterham). Leaflets are available widely in participating shops & both libraries. The campaign has been well supported by the Caterham Mirror, Advertiser, County Border News, Tandridge Chronicle and other local media, including BBC's Southern Counties Radio.
The scheme is backed by the local businesses taking part and supported by grants from Surrey CC, Tandridge DC, Caterham Valley and Caterham on the Hill Parish Councils. ABC have obtained extra funds to assist us via SEEDA and the South East Rural Towns Partnership. At launch there were 31 shops in the scheme and now there are over 60. The panel below lists them.
Details of all the latest shops and their offers, together with a local shopping map and other material are in leaflets in shops or online. Several others are in discussions, so watch this space!
The new Caterham web site with this information, including the shops, offers and their locations around the town has been created and can be reached from the banner above. Check the individual shop's pages for details of what they offer. Please note that all information is subject to change, while we add extra shops and of course some offers are for seasonal items. There are now 32 participating shops and town centre businesses in the Valley and 23 on the Hill and the balance on our doorstep. Other parts of the town and nearby are welcome too. The scheme is open to include other Caterham businesses. Offers proposed range from straight forward discounts of up to 30%, to free items, promotions, vouchers for monthly draws, special terms and individual loyalty schemes.
Membership for Shoppers, Residents and Businesses.
Everyone can apply for a free Caterham Smart Card via the web site by clicking the card to the right , or by completing an application form in leaflets distributed at launch, or in shops displaying a Shop Smart Apply Here poster. (Age 17 and over) The cards come in a convenient "Big & Small" snap off pair, so one can go on a key ring and another in a wallet, or families can decide who has which.
The list of current outlets is below: ( Autumn 2010)
Caterham on the Hill