Shop Smart 2012
- A Shoppers draw has been launched in March linked to Shop Sharp membership and completion of a 10 stamp Shopper's passport.
- Participating shops will stamp the card and the passport will be an entry to a prize draw, with £1000 of prizes.
- Make sure you have your card to participate in offers and if you have lost yours, simply request another one.
- Over 50 businesses are participating in Caterham and new shops and businesses are welcome to join from around the town. Over 2,000 residents are on our mailing lists as members of Shop Smart.
- Details of the passport scheme will be eMailed to any Shop Smart members over the first week in March, who have provided an eMail address and passports will be available in particiapting shops
- A training & consulting scheme with retail "Guru's" Metamorphosis will see three extra sessions for shops who are part of Shop Smart or the Caterham Business Partnership, on a variety of topics. With the Mary Portas review this is very topical and the "Master Classes" run last year were well regarded.
- The Soper Hall in Harestone Valley Road is near to transfer to a community Group. The project is a great example of "Big Society" at work and a team has been working away on this for well over a year, having been kicked off by ABC. Please do visit their web site and join as a member if you want to be involved or simply to be kept aware of plans. David Gold locally helped underwrite the proposal and is a keen supporter.
- The "Shabby to Smart" exercise throughout the town's shopping areas, with less clutter, new benches, planters and refurbishment of what we kept, is virtually complete thanks to ABC. Some railings and posts are being painted as the final step. A new mini roundabout was created in Nov/Dec, to allow a right turn into Harestone Valley Road from Church Hill and help relieve the gridlock in Station Avenue. This has been very sucessful and thanks go to everyone involved. Caterham School provided a donation of £5,000 towards the costs, so a special thanks to them
- Join ABC to be kept up to date with local community projects, Big Society in Caterham and news on projects like Soper Hall, on the Hill, or in the Valley.
Download the current 2011 leaflet (click image to download)
By Local Business for Local People. Now open to wider types of business
All businesses in or around Caterham can join us, each one simply has to provide a Shop Smart member's loyalty benefit and we will provide them with a web page, to tell you.
The number of participating businesses has grown to 60, about twice the size at launch in August 2009. Adding community organisations and totalling up the doctors, dentists, chemists, transport and other information, it's now over 100 local organisations covered
Who's included now and who pays?
The scheme is free to join as a shopping member if you live or work nearby and shops and businesses pay a small fee. Its been funded through grant funds via ABC ( A Better Caterham), some advertising and the joining fees from businesses.
Latest to join include:
ARC Arts and play centre, The Village, Caterham on the Hill
A Newsletter in March is planned to all those we have addresses for and will include any late news, especially about the Shopper's Passport. Over 2,000 are currently members, which is split almost equally between Valley, Hill and outside Caterham.
We have started facebook and Twitter links to expand ways to reach our information. The web site is also available via iPhone now.
If you are interested to become part of a small team taking this forward, please do get in touch and in any case let us have any suggestions for improvements.
Shops & Offers
You can find all the shops in the list below and click on any to go straight to their web page.
Joining at a shop or on-line
Is easy. Free membership cards can be obtained on the spot from JJ Browne, Touché and Peter Groom in the Valley, plus Vivace Pianos, Computer Solutions and Caterham Pine on the Hill. Cards are also available via post ( J J Browne, 10 Godstone Road, Caterham, Surrey, CR3 6RA) and the Internet.
You can pick up an application form in most participating shops. The cards come in a convenient "Big & Small" snap off pair, so one can go on a key ring and another in a wallet, or families can decide who has which. (Age 17 and over)
To all the participating shops
Shop Smart, shop local was launched on August 6th 2009, to reward shoppers and business loyalty. Its proved very popular among residents, shops and local businesses. Membership cards, a web site and town promotions are part of a scheme launched by the Caterham Business Partnership and ABC ( A Better Caterham). Leaflets are available widely in participating shops & both libraries. The campaign has been well supported by the Caterham Mirror, Advertiser, County Border News, Tandridge Chronicle, Caterham Independent and other local media, including BBC's Southern Counties Radio.
The scheme is backed by the local businesses taking part and has been supported by grants from Surrey CC, Tandridge DC, Caterham Valley and Caterham on the Hill Parish Councils. ABC obtained extra funds to assist us via SEEDA and the South East Rural Towns Partnership. At launch there were 31 shops in the scheme and now there are over 50. The panel below lists them.
Details of all the latest shops and their offers, together with a local shopping map and other material are in leaflets in shops or online. Several others are in discussions, so watch this space!
Our web site with this information, including the shops, offers and their locations around the town can be reached from the banner above. Check the individual shop's pages for details of what they offer. Please note that all information is subject to change, while we add extra shops and of course some offers are for seasonal items. There are now 32 participating shops and town centre businesses in the Valley and 23 on the Hill and the balance on our doorstep. Other parts of the town and nearby are welcome too. The scheme is open to include other Caterham businesses. Offers proposed range from straight forward discounts of up to 30%, to free items, promotions, vouchers for monthly draws, special terms and individual loyalty schemes.
Membership for Shoppers, Residents and Businesses.
Everyone can apply for a free Caterham Smart Card via the web site by clicking the card to the right , or by completing an application form in leaflets distributed at launch, or in shops displaying a Shop Smart Apply Here poster. (Age 17 and over) The cards come in a convenient "Big & Small" snap off pair, so one can go on a key ring and another in a wallet, or families can decide who has which.
The list of current outlets is below: ( February 2012)
Caterham on the Hill